What Paperwork Do I Need To Sell My Car To A Junkyard?

Documentation Needed To Salvage A Vehicle 

Making some extra cash from selling your junk car to a junkyard can be easy. Once you decide which junkyard is best for you, all you need is the car and some paperwork. Required paperwork varies state by state, but let’s answer some questions regarding the paperwork needed to sell your car to a junkyard in Florida.

Can I Sell My Junk Car Without A Title?

Yes and no. A licensed junk car buyer can purchase a vehicle without a title as long as it is more than 10 years old. Florida law requires a copy of a title for sale of any vehicles newer than 10 years and is worth less than $1,000. If you don’t have the title, you should reach out to the junkyard first to confirm that they will buy your vehicle. You also have an option to obtain a new copy of your title; you can submit a form through your local Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles office.

Do I Need To Show My Driver’s License?

A driver’s license isn’t necessary to sell your car to a licensed junkyard; however, you will need to provide some form of picture ID issued by the state. An official passport is also acceptable. The driver’s license or passport are required by law and are not negotiable by a licensed junkyard. You need to be able to officially prove who you are and that you are the owner of the vehicle. 

Is A Copy Of The Vehicle’s Registration Required?

In most cases, registration is not required. If a vehicle is older than 10 years and you do not have a copy of the title to provide, you will need a copy of the registration. Either the title or registration is needed for older vehicles in order to confirm that the person selling the vehicle is the actual owner of the vehicle. 

Will The Junkyard Provide A Bill Of Sale For My Vehicle?

Yes, a licensed junkyard will provide you with a bill of sale. A junkyard will also file the necessary paperwork with the State to salvage the vehicle. This paperwork makes the original owner no longer the owner, and therefore no longer responsible for the car, truck, or SUV. At this time, with cash in hand, you have completed the transaction.